What We Thought (full review below!)
After thorough testing and evaluation, it’s clear that this machine is more than just a jack-of-all-trades; it excels in each of its capabilities, offering quality and reliability in TIG welding, stick welding, and plasma cutting.
One of the most compelling aspects of the CT2050 is its value for money. Considering the range of functions it encompasses, combined with the quality of its performance and the inclusion of features like a built-in air compressor and CNC table compatibility, it stands out as a cost-effective solution for both professional and amateur welders.
It’s rare to find a machine that can perform so many tasks without compromising on quality, and the CT2050 does just that.
Today, I’m excited to delve into the comprehensive review of the YesWelder Firstess CT2050, a machine that’s generating quite a buzz in the welding community.
At first glance, the CT2050 isn’t just another welding machine; it’s a multifaceted tool designed to cater to a wide range of welding needs. This unit is a 7-in-1 welder, promising versatility with capabilities such as AC TIG, DC TIG, AC Pulse TIG, DC Pulse TIG, Stick Welding, and Plasma Cutting.
What’s particularly intriguing is its built-in air compressor for plasma cutting, a feature that sets it apart from conventional models and simplifies the setup.
YesWelder has not paid for this assessment, meaning the insights and opinions I’ll share are entirely unbiased and based purely on my hands-on experience with the CT2050. This commitment to impartiality ensures that you, the reader, get an honest and transparent review of this intriguing new addition to the world of welding and metal fabrication.
Stay tuned as we explore every facet of the YesWelder Firstess CT2050, examining its features, performance, and overall value in practical scenarios.
Whether you’re a seasoned professional or a hobbyist, this review aims to provide a clear understanding of what this machine offers and how it might fit into your welding arsenal.
Unboxing and First Impressions
Unboxing the YesWelder Firstess CT2050 is an experience in itself, revealing a plethora of components that come with this multifaceted welding machine. Here’s a detailed overview of what you’ll find inside the box:
- TIG Torch: The heart of TIG welding, the included torch is robust and well-designed. It features a convenient ball and socket joint for flexibility and ease of use, enhancing the welding experience.
- Accessory Kit: This kit is a treasure trove for welders. It includes various essentials such as a range of ceramic cups (sizes #4, #5, and #6) and both long and stubby end caps. To cater to different welding needs, there are also three different sized collets for standard tungsten sizes.
- Ground Clamp: The heavy-duty ground clamp is another vital component, ensuring a stable and secure connection during welding. Its dens connector signifies a strong build and reliability.
- Stinger: For stick welding, the stinger included is of commendable quality. It adds to the versatility of the CT2050, allowing for effective stick welding operations.
- Gas Hose: A necessary component for TIG welding, the gas hose is included to facilitate the gas flow essential for the welding process.
- Air Regulator: Given the machine’s capability for plasma cutting with a built-in air compressor, the included air regulator is a crucial component for managing air flow and pressure.
- Plasma Cutting Torch: Complementing the plasma cutting feature, this torch mirrors the quality of the TIG torch, with a ball and socket strain relief for ease of movement and a durable build.
- Voltage Adapter: The CT2050’s versatility is further enhanced by its ability to run on different voltages. The included adapter allows the machine to operate on both 240 volts and regular 120 volts, adding to its flexibility.
Upon first inspection, the components of the CT2050 make a solid impression in terms of build quality and design. Each piece feels well-constructed and robust, suggesting a thoughtful design process aimed at both functionality and durability. The attention to detail in the ergonomics and build of the TIG and plasma torches, in particular, stands out, indicating that YesWelder has put significant effort into making the welding experience as comfortable and efficient as possible.
Capabilities and Features
The YesWelder Firstess CT2050 is an impressively versatile machine, designed to be a multi-functional powerhouse for both professional and hobbyist welders.
This 7-in-1 welder stands out with a comprehensive range of functionalities that cater to a wide array of metalworking needs.
- AC TIG (Alternating Current Tungsten Inert Gas) Welding: This mode is ideal for welding aluminum and magnesium. The AC TIG setting compensates for the oxide layer that forms when these metals are heated, ensuring a clean weld.
- DC TIG (Direct Current Tungsten Inert Gas) Welding: Suited for welding steel, stainless steel, copper, and other metals, the DC TIG mode offers precise control, making it perfect for projects requiring detailed and high-quality welds.
- AC Pulse TIG Welding: This advanced mode allows for welding thinner metals. The pulsing current helps manage heat input, minimizing warping and distortion in sensitive materials.
- DC Pulse TIG Welding: Similar to AC Pulse TIG, but used with materials like steel and copper, DC Pulse TIG welding provides controlled heat input for precision welding, especially on thinner or heat-sensitive materials.
- Stick Welding (Shielded Metal Arc Welding): This function adds versatility by allowing the CT2050 to handle a variety of common metals and joint types, making it suitable for construction, repair, and heavy-duty fabrication.
- Plasma Cutting: The CT2050 isn’t just a welding machine; it’s also a capable plasma cutter. This feature is essential for cutting through various types of metals quickly and cleanly, making it a valuable tool for fabrication and repair work.
- Built-in Air Compressor for Plasma Cutting: One of the most notable features of the CT2050 is its integrated air compressor. This eliminates the need for an external air source, making the plasma cutting process more streamlined and portable. The compressor is designed to be efficient and quiet, reducing the overall footprint and noise level of your work setup.
Each of these functions is engineered to work seamlessly, allowing users to switch between different modes according to their project needs.
This multi-functionality not only saves space in a workshop by reducing the number of separate machines needed but also offers the convenience of having multiple welding and cutting processes available in one unit.
The YesWelder Firstess CT2050 is designed to be a comprehensive solution for various metalworking applications, promising both versatility and efficiency for its users.
YesWelder CT2050 Performance Review
Plasma Cutting Performance
The plasma cutting capabilities of the YesWelder Firstess CT2050 were thoroughly tested on a variety of metals, ranging from standard clean steel to challenging rusty steel, to simulate real-world conditions.
The cutter demonstrated remarkable versatility, effortlessly handling materials from thin 14-gauge sheet metal to thicker half-inch steel plates.
The cuts were consistently clean and precise, with minimal dross and smooth edges, even when cutting through quarter-inch thick rusty angle iron, a testament to its robust performance in less-than-ideal conditions.
A standout feature of the CT2050 is its built-in air compressor designed for plasma cutting. This integration not only simplifies the setup but also enhances the portability of the unit.
Notably, the compressor operates quietly, significantly reducing noise levels, which is especially beneficial in smaller workspaces or residential areas.
When comparing its performance at different voltages, the CT2050 was efficient under both 120 volts and 240 volts. At 120 volts, the machine could cut through 14-gauge metal at 25 amps, showcasing its capability under lower voltage conditions.
Switching to 240 volts allowed the machine to reach up to 45 amps, enabling it to cut through thicker materials, demonstrating its adaptability without sacrificing performance.
TIG Welding Performance
The CT2050’s TIG welding capabilities were examined in both AC Pulse TIG and DC TIG modes.
The AC Pulse TIG mode proved effective for welding thinner metals, while the DC TIG mode delivered precise and high-quality welds on materials like steel and copper.
A comparison between manual settings and the machine’s Smart Mode revealed that Smart Mode, which automatically adjusts settings based on material and thickness, resulted in cleaner and more consistent welds.
The machine was tested on various metal thicknesses and types, including aluminum and steel, in both AC and DC TIG modes.
It consistently produced high-quality welds across these different materials, highlighting its versatility and capability. Additionally, the CT2050 was user-friendly, with intuitive controls and settings suitable for both experienced welders and beginners.
The quality of the welds was consistently high, characterized by smooth, clean beads and minimal splatter, reflecting the machine’s reliable performance.
Stick Welding Test
A guest welder was invited to test the stick welding capabilities of the CT2050, providing an unbiased perspective. The test involved welding rusty angle iron, a challenging task that tests the machine’s ability to handle less-than-ideal surfaces.
Despite the guest welder’s lack of recent practice, the CT2050 effectively welded the rusty angle iron, showcasing its proficiency in stick welding.
The results were impressive, indicating the machine’s forgiving nature and suitability for various skill levels.
The YesWelder Firstess CT2050 stands out as a multi-functional welding and cutting tool that brings a high level of versatility to any workshop.
Its ability to seamlessly transition between different welding modes (AC TIG, DC TIG, AC Pulse TIG, DC Pulse TIG) and plasma cutting, coupled with its stick welding capabilities, makes it a comprehensive solution for a wide range of metalworking tasks.
Versatility and Suitability for Various Projects
- Wide Range of Applications: The CT2050 is adept at handling everything from intricate TIG welding tasks, like working with aluminum and steel, to robust stick welding projects. Its plasma cutting function adds another layer of utility, making it suitable for both fabrication and repair work.
- Suitable for Different Skill Levels: The machine’s user-friendly design and intuitive controls make it accessible to beginners, while its advanced features and robust performance cater to the needs of experienced professionals.
- Adaptable to Various Environments: With its dual voltage capability and built-in air compressor for plasma cutting, the CT2050 is as much at home in a professional workshop as it is in a home garage, making it an excellent choice for hobbyists, freelance welders, and small business owners alike.
My Favorite Features
- Built-in Air Compressor: The inclusion of an integrated air compressor for plasma cutting is a game-changer, eliminating the need for an external air source and enhancing portability.
- Smart Mode for TIG Welding: The Smart Mode feature, particularly in AC TIG, optimizes the welding process, making it easier to achieve high-quality results, especially for less experienced welders.
- Versatile Power Options: The ability to operate on both 120 volts and 240 volts makes the CT2050 adaptable to various power supplies, increasing its usability in different settings.
- CNC Compatibility for Plasma Cutting: The compatibility with CNC plasma cutting tables opens up opportunities for precision-based projects, broadening the scope of what can be achieved with this machine.
- Quiet Operation: The surprisingly quiet operation of the built-in air compressor is a significant plus, especially in noise-sensitive environments.
- Comprehensive Accessory Kit: The inclusion of a well-equipped accessory kit for TIG welding ensures that users have all the necessary tools to get started right away.
My Final Verdict
Would I recommend the YesWelder Firstess CT2050? Absolutely.
For anyone in the market for a versatile, reliable, and user-friendly welding and cutting tool, this machine is a strong contender.
It’s particularly ideal for those who have limited space and can’t accommodate multiple machines, or for those looking to expand their capabilities without breaking the bank.
The CT2050 is not just a smart investment for its versatility and performance; it’s also a testament to YesWelder’s commitment to providing accessible, high-quality equipment to the welding community.