What We Thought (full review below!)
This piece from the miller welders’ range is one of the very best on the market for versatility and convenience. This machine offers everything you could be looking for in a basic portable welding system, whether for your home, garage or work, you’re sure to appreciate the investment for this piece of equipment.
Multi-process welding machines have been around for a while, and it’s easy to understand their appeal.
Instead of having separate machines to do MIG welding, TIG welding, and stick welding, why not get one machine that can do it all? This has many benefits, with quick switching between processes and saving space being the most obvious.
As simple as the idea sounds, it’s a bit complicated to build a welding machine that provides the current required for these different processes.
Without getting overly technical, MIG welding requires a constant voltage power supply, while TIG and stick welding require constant current.
Miller Electric Manufacturing Company has been making multi-process machines for years, but for those who build cars there have been some limitations. The earlier machines could not TIG weld aluminum, which requires alternating current. Further, they required touching the electrode to the base metal to start an arc in the TIG welding DC mode, and they did not have the capability of pulsing.
They introduced their revolutionary Multimatic 220 AC/DC at the SEMA show in October 2018. It now incorporates AC TIG with adjustable frequency and balance plus high-frequency starts and pulse settings on the DC side, all housed in a compact case weighing only 56 pounds. I got one of the first machines released, and I was eager to put it through its paces to see how well it matches the needs of car builders.
As with any machine, a small amount of assembly is required after the components are unpacked from the shipping box. Fortunately, everything is easy to figure out (even for those who may not read instructions) and you will be up and running in a few minutes.
There are separate receptacles for the MIG gun and TIG torch so you don’t have to swap out any components to go from one process to another. The machine also has two ports for the shielding gases, so you can have two bottles connected at the same time, one for TIG welding and one for MIG. It even comes with two flowmeters and hoses.
Here you will find a fantastic video that shows you just how to get started with your welding machine. This video will explain how to set up your rig and has a basic walkthrough of how to use the AC / DC multiprocess. This one video is all you need to get yourself started with your new welding machine.
- Multi-process capabilities allow for MIG stick, flux-cored, AC/DC TIG and stick welding
- Easy to Set-up and connect
- Pro-Set (TIG and stick manual modes)
- Intuitive LCD display
- Multi-voltage plug (MVP) for 120 or 240 V power receptacles
- CSA Certified Compliance 80005312
- CSA Certificate of compliance 70198396
- Auto-Set Elite can be used on multiple materials and multiple processes with the ability to fine tune your settings. Easy to set up and use.
- Pro-Set (TIG and stick manual modes) – eliminates the guesswork when setting weld parameters. Simply adjust control until Pro-Set appears on the display and the number turns blue.
- Intuitive color LCD user interface makes it quick and easy to adjust parameters.
- Multi-voltage plug (MVP) allows you to connect to 120 or 240 V power receptacles without the use of any tools – choose the plug that fits the receptacle and connect it to the cord.
The Miller Multimatic 220 can be used for multiple welding processes. You can use it for GMAW, GTAW, and thick welding. This multi-purpose machine is also relatively lightweight.
This Welder also comes with several features and accessories making it a versatile tool to have in your garage. It has been designed specially to make the user experience comfortable and easy.
For all this and many more reasons we would say that this welder was one of the best on the market for beginners and experienced welders alike.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What’s inside the box
- Multimatic® 220 AC/DC
- 5 ft (2 m) power cable and MVP™ adapter plugs for 120V and 240V
- 10 ft MDX™-100 MIG Welding Gun
- 13 ft (4 m) cable electrode holder and 25 mm Dinse-style connector
- 5 ft (3.8 m) Weldcraft™ A-150 (WP-17) TIG torch with 25mm Dinse-style connector
- RFCS-14 HD foot control with 20 ft (6 m) cord
- 10 ft (3 m) work cable with clamp and 25 mm Dinse-style connector
- Two Argon and AR/CO2 mix regulator/flow gauge with hoses
- Spool of Hobart® .030 in (0.8 mm) solid wire
- Two contact tips for .030 in (0.8 mm) wire
- Quick Select™ drive roll for .024 in (0.6 mm) or .030/.035 in (0.8/0.9 mm) solid wire, and .030/.035 (0.8/0.9 mm) flux cored wire
- AK2C TIG torch accessory kit
- Material thickness gauge #229895
- Hook-and-loop cord wraps
What makes the Miller Multimatic© 220 special?
The new Multimatic 220 AC/DC is a leading worldwide manufacturer of Miller brand arc welding equipment, delivers all-in-one multi-process capabilities for MIG and TIG welding, flux-cored, DC TIG and DC stick welding, plus the addition of AC TIG capabilities.
Welders can now tackle more projects and more materials — now offering AC/DC TIG from 24-gauge to ¼-inch thick aluminum.
The Miller Multimatic 220 AC/DC makes it easier than ever to switch between processes. QuickTechä technology automatically determines the correct polarity and switches to the right process when the welder hits the trigger.
This technology also allows a MIG gun and TIG torch to be connected at the same time. In addition, this welder features two shielding gas connections so both MIG and TIG gases can be attached simultaneously.
For TIG welders who want to fine tune their parameters, this welding rig offers adjustable AC balance and frequency and DC pulse. Or, operators can rely on Pro-Setä technology, which offers pre-set controls designed by Miller weld engineers to eliminate the guesswork when setting weld parameters.
This welder delivers ultimate portability, weighing just 56 pounds and featuring the Miller exclusive Multi-Voltage Plug (MVP™), which allows users to weld in more places by simply choosing the plug that fits a 120 V or 240 V power receptacle and connecting it to the power cord. No tools are required.
Ease-of-use is enhanced further through other innovative features. An angled wire drive uses an updated motor in an all-aluminum housing to support longer torch options and deliver smoother wire feeding for better welds. The Quick Select™ drive roll makes setup quick and easy by offering three grooves — two for different sized solid wire and a third for flux-cored wire.
Here we have picked out some of the best accessories available for your welder:
- Superior Protection – Protect your machine with a heavy-duty, water and mildew resistant cover. Woven nylon provides flame and tear resistance.
- Complete Coverage – Covers the welding unit while all of the cables are still connected.
- Portable – Cut-out allows access to carry handle for easy portability and carrying.
Weldcraft FX Accessory Kit
This kit includes the following accessories. Perfect for any welders tooldbox.
- 150TB torch body
- 150VTB torch body
- 150CE element, coil
- 150SE element, solid
- 105Z55R handle
- .040″, 1/16″. 3/32″ Ceriated tungsten electrodes For 80-amp set-up
- 24 (60° torch head)
- 24-90 (90° torch head)
- 53N20 wrench
- 1/16″, 3/32″ collet and collet body
- #5, #6 lava nozzles For 125-amp set-up
- 9-70 (70° torch head)
- 9-90 (90° torch head)
- 9P (180° torch head)
- .040″, 1/16″, 3/32″ collet and collet body
- #4, #5, #6 alumina nozzles
- Back caps – short, medium and long For 150-amp set-up
- 1726 (70° torch head)
- 1726P (180° TIG torch head)
- .040″, 1/16″, 3/32″ collet and collet body
- Back caps – short, medium and long
Thank you to Bakers Gas for the image.